Bring the flavours of your favourite Chinese dishes home with this recipe for BBQ shredded duck with fire roasted plum sauce!
This recipe is great for sharing; serve up as an alternative to the Friday night takeaway and watch the extra pennies pile up as you save.
For The Pancakes:
- In a bowl add boiling water to flour mixture and mix together until it forms a sticky dough
- In the bowl, sprinkle the dough with extra flour
- Dust a work surface in preparation for kneading the dough
- Place dough onto floured work surface and gently begin to fold, carefully kneading, for only a few minutes, until smooth (Add more flour if necessary whilst kneading)
- Cover with a tea towel and set aside to rest for 30 mins
- Roll into long line and cut in half, keep cutting sections in half until you have pieces of dough about an inch thick
- Roll dough pieces into balls
- Take 2 dough balls, and flatten
- Brush top side of flattened dough ball with rapeseed oil and place oil side down on top of other flattened dough piece
- Roll out dough balls together into circular discs
- Cook in a non stick pan on a medium-high heat until slightly golden and inflated, take out of pan and carefully peel in half
For the Duck:
- Pat the skin of the duck legs with a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture;
- Prick the skin of the legs all over; and season with salt and 5 spice
- Pop them onto the grill to cook very slowly over a medium-low heat for 50 minutes, until the meat is tender with a crisp skin, turning often.
- Shred the duck with 2 forks and discard the bones
For the Plum Sauce:
- Halve, destone and place the plums in a large mixing bowl
- Sprinkle with caster sugar & mix with tablespoon.
- Grill for 2 minutes on each side, or until slightly charred.
- When lightly grilled, place the plums in a saucepan add in star anise and cook until sticky.
For the Filling:
- Take a pancake and layer with cucumber, spring onions, duck and plum sauce.
- Roll up tightly and enjoy!